Donald ChappellWealth Advisor
Year joined H.G. Wellington:
Don’s investment philosophy has been honed over his extensive investment career. He likes to buy a combination of attractively priced growth stocks (GARP—growth at a reasonable price) and value stocks. He incorporates some small and mid-cap stocks in his portfolio mix. Don believes in doing deep fundamental research on a company and the management before buying any stock.
Previous Experience/Career Highlights:
Don joined H.G. Wellington in 2008 as a Relationship Portfolio Manager, shortly before the 2009 merger with Shields & Co. which formed Wellington Shields & Co. Don brought with him extensive experience in the asset management field having worked with high net worth individuals and pension funds for over four decades at various well-regarded firms.
- At Republic Bank (acquired by HSBC), he was a Vice President and Senior Portfolio/Relationship Manager and designed asset allocation models for clients throughout the US, especially California, and Canada.
- Prior to that, he was a Vice President and Senior Portfolio/Relationship Manager at Chase Manhattan Bank (now JP Morgan) within the Investment Management Division and was known for his very successful new business development efforts.
- In the mid-80s, Don was also at H.G. Wellington & Co. as a Portfolio Manager and a member of the Stock Selection Committee.
- In the early 80’s, Don was an Assistant Vice President in Marketing at Manufacturers Hanover (acquired by Chemical Bank and then Chase Bank) marketing the firm’s investment research services to banks, insurance companies, corporate pension funds, and investment counsellors primarily located in the Southeast and Midwest.
- Before he was recruited by Manufacturers Hanover, he was an Assistant Vice President in Marketing at Fiduciary Trust where he successfully sold a broad range of financial and investment services spanning domestic and international markets.
- Don got his start at The US Trust Company as an Investment Officer managing investment and trust accounts. He was there more than nine years.
Education and Certifications:
- University of Tennessee, BS – Finance
Other Interests and/or Affiliations:
- Member CFA New York (CFANY formerly NYSSA)
- Member of The Yale Club, NY
- Veteran, US Army
- Proud Husband, Father & Grandfather of two